Friday, January 27, 2012

Help, I need Balance!

I have learned on this journey that life is really one thing after another. The world around us is constantly changing, our bodies are constantly changing, our children are constantly changing…one day we are up, the next we are down. We go to church, we go to work, we go to school. We drive in our cars or we get on the bus. After school activities, church activities, hobbies…the day goes on and so does life.

Me, I’m a wife, mom of 2, Elder in the church, attend Bible College full time, President of Now Faith Int’l Ministries, avid reader, writing my first book…shall I continue?! We all have so much on our plate at times. So I decided to write my view on BALANCE.

I’ve heard so many ways on how to balance. Get a calendar. Get an iPhone or blackberry, take notes, etc. So, In order to get this whole balance thing down-packed I begin asking myself questions like how much time should I devote to my children each day? How many hours in the office are too much? What priority is my spiritual practice and how many minutes/hours should I devote to it each day? After all that how much time is left to prioritize ME? However, the more contracted I became about achieving my ideal “balance quotient” the more stressed I became.

I finally realized, I’m missing the point. Balance is not totally about how many clear notes I’ve taken or whether my assistant has set up my calendar correctly. Balance is an internal state of being. Our minds have been conditioned to think some crazy thoughts and some we think unconsciously. Let’s let go of the stories we have bought into.

“Successful business women put their jobs first.”
“Good mothers don’t work this many hours.”
“Troubled children happen when marriages fall apart.”
“Spiritual people spend one hour meditating each day.”

Forget what the world is saying! You see, balance is not about doing less. Balance and harmony are achieved when you are fully present with whatever you are doing. Quit holding yourself hostage for not being at home with your children. For not committing to that project at work. Make the choice to be fully present with whatever is at hand. Balance comes when you are fully in the moment of what you are doing!!! What a balanced life ultimately offers all of us is the ability to look soberly at our circumstance as well as to where we are headed. Balance tells us that we are working too hard, or neglecting loved ones, or that we are spending too much time and resources on those who don’t want to help themselves. A balanced person looks at the dashboard of his or her life where the physical, emotional, spiritual and relational gauges tell a complete story.

Recently, I did a 40day fast and consecration and what I discovered was that my greatest balance comes when I honor my inner divinity to the greatest degree. When I allow my life to be my meditation. The simple act of embracing everything as it unfolds marks the eradication of stress and moves me into complete balance and harmony.

Lastly, I’ve learned how to say NO, MAYBE NEXT TIME and simply I’M NOT INTERESTED!

A false balance is abomination to the Lord: but a just weight is his delight. Proverbs 11:1

Divers weights are an abomination unto the Lord; and a false balance is not good. Proverbs 20:23


Have Faith,
Rev. Bert
Hebrews 11:6

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I woke up this morning arriving at the same conclusion...then thought, 'am I being lazy?'I should have written it down, but I'm so glad you did! Great perspective #Not lazy, just living!!!

Step out of fear and into Faith!

Step out of fear and into Faith!