Friday, January 6, 2012

Friends, how many of us have them?!

The conventional wisdom is that we choose friends because of who they are. But it turns out that we actually love them because of the way they support who we are.
One of my best friends, Leila, and I met many moons ago. However, after traveling by bus and train to college together each morning, sharing in childhood stories, crying over break-ups, laughing at our stupidity and counseling each other in difficult times, a true friendship was born.

When people are asked, “What gives meaning to your life?” Some may answer money or children but my answer is Friendship. After hearing the term too many times and loosely used in 2011, BFF/Bestie…I thought I’d make this my first topic of the New Year.

There have been too many people that I have called ‘friend’ and they have too many times stabbed me in the back, betrayed me, not supported me, etc. Initially, my heart was broken. I couldn’t understand why if I was honest, if I was a friend, if I was supportive, if I went out of my way then why couldn’t things be reciprocated. I didn’t know then what I know now, God strategically places people and remove people from our lives and sometimes loving those you once called ‘friend’ from a distance is the best thing that could have ever happened to you!

As I continue to mature on this journey God continually shows me and speaks to me about the importance of true and authentic friendships and relationships. The Lord spoke to me in the early part of 2010. He said “Don’t base what friends have said, done or shown you in the past and allow that to hinder you from receiving the new destiny-driven Friendships.” What God said to me instantly removed my heart of stone and replaced itself with a sensitive heart of flesh (Ezekiel 36:26). Today I know for sure and see clearly that Friendship is a blessing and a friend is the channel through whom great emotional, spiritual, and sometimes even physical blessings flow.
I can remember in 2002 Leila helped me through one of my most difficult times. I remember not wanting to eat or come outside but she said to me, “the girl I know is strong. The girl I know is ambitious. The girl I know is a conqueror!” In other words she encouraged me when I couldn’t even mumble a word.

What are Friends?
Friends can cheer us when we’re sorrowful or depressed. Friends can challenge us when we allow ourselves to get beyond our reasonable boundaries. Friends can motivate us when we’re ready to give in, and they can provide for us when life falls apart. They are there when all is well, and we want someone with whom to share life’s pleasant and memorable moments. We often just want them around to have a good time, to laugh, to act silly; to enjoy some mutually liked activity
It is safe to say that when God created the world and all the majestic things in it, when he streaked the heavens with radiant color and the earth with grand mountains and awe-inspiring canyons, when he painted the plains with waving grasses and erected noble forests of towering trees, he outdid it all by creating Friends.
Why not take a moment or two and thank someone today for being a friend to you?

As we move into 2012 we must assure that those that latch on to us and those that we just love to be around are the authentic persons and friends called to our life for 2012.
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. (Proverbs 17:17)

Have Faith,
Rev. Bert
Hebrews 11:6

6 comments:

Angie said...

I just wanted to say thank You for this, I have been battling with this for a long time I give so much of myself to my "Friends" but when it comes to me some of them never call to check on me , but call when they need me and I can't even help myself. Always saying girl you should have called me and said something if you were a FRIEND you would have called to see if I was ok. Well I Thank God for you and your message and this blog looking forward to reading and learning more..........

Leila Blue said...

All I can say is WOW!!!! Ive been on a lot of "ships", but I am so glad and so blessed that our FriendSHIP has traveled through the good and the bad! I was often told that to have good friends one must first be a great friend, both of those things I learned full on with you.
Friends....so long ago I had to realize that even I was guilty of using the trek too loose! As a result I got caught up into my feelings trying to figure out why these "friends" had become so distant. Blaming myself for our lack of communication...no phone calls to say hi, just thinking about you or even have a good day unless I made the call. After much prayer, God told me that my friends will always be there and I will see who they are! The blessing in that has hit so many times lately as I have moved from my hometown to NC! My FRIENDS although they be very few now, are still right here with me! And everytime we get together we pick right up where we left off as if we never loose a step! Rev. Bert!!! I love you and I am so blessed to have you in my life! We became Friends by chance and Sisters at heart by choice!

MUSICALBARBIE said...

Superb... Now, this has made me want to not only "CHECK" my friends but also examine what type of I am. Job well done!

iamlove said...

I love it Bert.... But you forgot about the friend that would shut a place down if someone disrespects that person friend LOL. No really this this is some good stuff and I can't wait to share.

iamlove said...

I love it Bert, but you forgot about the friend that will shut a place down when someone disrespects that persons friend. No really it's a wonderful piece

Angel Matthews said...

U truely blessed my spirit with this blog cause alot of do take the title as a friend for granted and I can relate to alll the facts

Step out of fear and into Faith!

Step out of fear and into Faith!